What is Heart For The House?
Heart For The House is CONVO's annual game-changer offering where we give generously above and beyond our tithes to unlock the miraculous potential before us as a church. We often say that Heart For The House is "So that WE CAN and OTHERS MAY."
So that WE CAN..have the resource and ability to accomplish the above and beyond opportunity to grow, spread the Gospel, improve how we serve our city, greatly impact injustice in our region, end sex trafficking, end youth homelessness, and end child poverty in our world.
And that OTHERS MAY...hear the message of Grace and Love that comes from Christ, find freedom from addiction and brokenness, find community where they are loved and will grow in Christ, have their life and eternity transformed by relationship with God facilitated by CONVO Church.
What we can accomplish together will always be greater than what we can accomplish on our own. Every year in the fall, we pledge and give to prepare for what we will do in the upcoming year in the areas impacted by Heart For The House. What comes in by the end of the year will be the starting budget for what we are able to do in the upcoming year, but people are able to contribute to this fund year round.
Heart For The House is not the same as tithing. It is important for us to understand the difference. Below are some foundational scriptures behind Heart For The House.
1 Chronicles 29:2-5 (NLT)
"Using every resource at my command, I have gathered as much as I could for building the Temple of my God. Now there is enough gold, silver, bronze, iron, and wood, as well as great quantities of onyx, other precious stones, costly jewels, and all kinds of fine stone and marble. “And now, because of my devotion to the Temple of my God, I am giving all of my own private treasures of gold and silver to help in the construction. This is in addition to the building materials I have already collected for his holy Temple. I am donating more than 112 tons of gold from Ophir and 262 tons of refined silver to be used for overlaying the walls of the buildings and for the other gold and silver work to be done by the craftsmen. Now then, who will follow my example and give offerings to the Lord today?”
Acts 2:44-47 (NLT)
"And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity—all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved."
John 2:17 (NLT)
"Then his disciples remembered this prophecy from the Scriptures: 'Passion for God's house will consume me."
2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (NLT)
"Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say, 'They share freely and give generously to the poor. Their good deeds will be remembered forever.' For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you. Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous."
Is Tithing Different From Heart For The House?
The simple answer is YES. Tithing and Heart For The House are two different types of giving. In the Bible, you had three primary ways of giving; 1) Tithes 2) Offering and 3) Alms. Heart For The House would be considered an offering. Offerings are special gifts given to specific purposes above tithing to accomplish specific needs. Alms were personal resources used to help individuals in time of need; more of a person to person gift.
Tithe literally means tenth or 10%. God owns everything we have and all we have is a gift from God. Our tithe is taking the very first 10% of our increase, whatever that financial increase may be, and giving it back to God through our local church. The tithe was always the pooled resource of a community utilized to make sure the local Temple (what we would call a local church today) has more than enough resource and funding to operate at a high level of excellence in fulfilling it's vision and mission. Most commonly, tithing provides for facilities, equipment, staffing, operational expenses, ministries, logistics, benevolence assistance, team and leadership development.
But the purpose of a local church is not simply to function day to day but to faithfully step out into the unknown to accomplish the above and beyond that which God has called us within the Great Commission.
1. God commands it. “A tenth of all you produce is the Lord’s.” LEVITICUS 27:30
2. Jesus commended it. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things. Blind guides! You strain your
water so you won’t accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel!” MATTHEW 23:23-24 NLT
3. Tithing demonstrates that God has first place in my life. “The purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God in first
place in your lives.” DEUTERONOMY 14:23 TLB
4. Tithing reminds me that everything I have was given to me by God. “Always remember that it is the Lord your God who gives you the ability to produce wealth.” DEUTERONOMY 8:18 NET
5. Tithing expresses my love to the Lord. “Each of you should bring a gift in proportion to the way the Lord your God has blessed you.” DEUTERONOMY 16:17 NIV
6. God says that refusing to tithe is stealing from Him. “God says ‘Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing me!’ But you ask,
‘How do we rob you?’ God says ‘In tithes and offerings... Bring your whole tithe to My house.’” MALACHI 3:8-9 NIV
7. Tithing gives God a chance to prove He exists and wants to bless you. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” MALACHI 3:10 NIV
8. Bring your tithe to the church you call HOME. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse.” MALACHI 3:10 NIV